If there’s one thing that many people undergoing weight loss would agree on, it’s that losing belly fat is hell. Now, let’s get one thing out of the way: there is no such thing as spot fat burning, unless you’re going under the knife. But there is one thing you can do: work out to reduce overall fat and tone your belly.
The most efficient exercises for losing belly fat and weight in general are cardio exercises with an element of HIIT (high intensity interval training). This type of routine entails performing an exercise with explosive intensity for a minute or two seconds, and then allowing yourself a few seconds of rest.
Here are 5 exercises that would help you do just that, with the first one being a warm up exercise, and the rest being intense ones. For this list, it’s recommended that you perform each move for 60 seconds, with a 30-second break in between. Do at least 5 minutes of this routine daily and you’re going to see results.
Core-strengthening Toe Taps
This exercise is accessible to most body types and because it doesn’t put as much pressure on the lower back as much as crunches do, it’s doable even to those with back pain. It’s also versatile. You can go slow and steady and use it as part of your warm-up routine for the more intense abdominal exercises on this list. You can go harder by tapping both feet to the floor simultaneously with your lower back pressed onto that mat and keeping your knees bent at a 90-degree all with your core engaged.
To do this:
- Lie on your back with arms parallel to your hips. Raise your legs slowly and bend your knees with your shins parallel to the floor.
- Tighten your belly, pulling your navel toward your spine and then slowly lower the left foot and leg to lightly touch the floor. Maintain the 90-degree angle as you lower your foot. Return the left leg to the starting position and then do the same process with the other leg.
- Keep alternating for 60 seconds.
Blood-pumping High Knees
What better way to start a workout than with this high intensity cardio exercise that would get your blood pumping, and your core ready for the rest of the routine. This exercise activates your core and helps build strength in your legs and lower body. What’s even better is that, like the rest of the exercises on this list, there’s no need for any equipment except your trust yoga or gym mat.
Doing this exercise is pretty straightforward:
- Start in a standing position with your feed hip-width apart. Keep your core muscles engaged.
- Drive your right knee as high as you can toward your chest area, and raise your opposite arm.
- As fast as you can, bring it to the ground and then switch to your left knee, and raise the opposite arm.
- Use your arms to go faster, as if you’re running. Do it as fast as you can.
If you get bored with this exercise, you can try similar exercises that give decent cardio such as butt kicks, which is a lower-intensity exercise, and power skips, which strengthens so many muscle groups including glutes, hamstrings, calves, hips, shoulders, and of course, the core.
Power-building Jumping Lunges
When building belly fat burning routines, many people make the mistake of forgetting the legs and thighs. The beauty of the jumping lunge is that it’s a great cardio move that also helps you build strength in your legs so you can properly do a whole lot of other routines. It’s an excellent full-body workout.
To do this:
- Start with your feet shoulder-width apart and then jump into the lunge by kicking your right leg forward and your left leg back, with both of your knees bent at a-90 degree angle.
- Leap to switch your legs mid-air, landing on the mat in yet another lunge, this time with your left leg in front, and the right one at the back. Make sure that when landing, your entire foot is touching the floor. Do not stay on your toes or the ball of your front foot. Make sure that your chest is up.
- Continue jumping to switch positions. As much as possible, do not pause until you get to the 60-second mark.
If this is too hard for you that you can’t do the 60-second version, try a beginner-friendly version. Don’t sink too low into the floor.
This exercise is great for reducing belly fat because it’s the ultimate full-body exercise. It’s a great cardio and body weight workout that would have you burning so many calories. This makes a great high-intensity exercise because you can modify the last part to be as explosive as you can, so long as you maintain proper form to avoid injury. You can also reduce the intensity by just walking or easing into positions, as opposed to jumping into them.
Here’s how to do this exercise:
- Stand with the feel hip-width apart, and then lower your body into a squat position, putting your hands on the floor.
- Kick your feet to get into a plank position.
- Do a push-up, letting your chest as close to the floor as possible before getting back into the plank position.
- As quickly as you could, jump forward, getting back into the squat position.
- Leap as high as you can from the squat position to get back to the starting position. Repeat for 60 seconds.
Fun Flutter Kicks
If you want to try something other than the usual leg lifts and crunches and you want something fun and challenging, flutter kicks just might be what you’re looking for. This ab exercise targets more than your core muscles.
To do flutter kicks:
- Lie on your mat with your back on the floor, legs straight and relaxed, with arms at the sides.
- Tighten your core and then lift both legs about 12 inches off the floor with your lower back, head, and shoulders pressed into the floor. Maintain awareness of all these muscle groups and make sure to keep them engaged.
- Keep both of your legs straight as you stack one foot on top of another in an alternating, swift, fluttering motion
- Repeat for 60 seconds, doing as many as you can.
A strong core is crucial to your health and the quality of your life. It helps you stabilize the spine, supports proper posture, and helps keep conditions such as chronic back pain at bay. These belly-fat burning exercises would not only help you lose weight in general but help you keep your core in shape.