The ketogenic diet is a diet composed of high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrates food. It has been used primarily to treat difficult-to-control epilepsy in children because this diet forces the body to burn fats instead of carbohydrates.
On the other hand, coconut oil has been known to help with ketosis which is highly beneficial if you were to undergo the ketogenic diet. Coconut oil contains fats called medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) that are rapidly absorbed and taken directly to the liver, where they can be immediately converted into ketones.
When adding coconut oil to your diet, it is best to do so slowly in order to minimize digestive side effects such as stomach cramping or diarrhea. You could try by starting with one teaspoon per day and working it up to two to three tablespoons daily for one week. It is also best to use organic, cold-pressed, unrefined virgin coconut oil.
Here are a few recipes containing coconut oil that are perfect for people who are following the ketogenic diet.
Chocolate Fat Bombs with Coconut Oil
This fat bomb recipe is no bake and packed with heathy and tasty ingredients. You could store them in the fridge or munch on them all at once. It just takes five simple ingredients.
MCT or medium-chain triglyceride oil
Powdered sweetener of choice
Vanilla extract (optional)
- First, put the macadamia nuts in a food processor or high power blender and pulse until they are broken down into small pieces.
- Melt the coconut oil and combine it with the MCT oil and vanilla extract (optional). Pour the mixture to the crushed macadamia nuts and pulse it some more until it arrives at a buttery consistency.
- Next, add the cocoa powder and sweetener gradually while blending the mixture to incorporate them easily.
- Once the mixture is nice and smooth, spoon it into parchment lined mini muffin cups until each is a third way full.
- Freeze the fat bombs for at least until thirty minutes before serving.
Keto Coffee with Coconut Oil
Your coffee will be less boring and more delicious with this coffee mixture packed with coconut oil and butter. This is the perfect cup for people undergoing the keto diet and who enjoy coffee.
1 cup organic coffee
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon, grass-fed butter (melted)
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the ingredients in a blender and blend until it is frothy and well incorporated.
- Pour into a mug, serve warm and enjoy.
Keto Cheesecake Fat Bombs
These cheesecake fat bombs are bite size and will help when you are craving for sweets without necessarily sacrificing the taste or flavor. They taste just like no bake cheesecake.
- Add all the ingredients to a medium mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes or until mix through and creamy.
- For the keto sweetener, it is best to use powdered erythritol, monk fruit sweetener or stevia.
- Scoop batter using an ice-cream scooper into mini cupcake pan (lined or unlined). Place in the fridge to set for 1-2 hours or in the freezer for up to 30 minutes.
- Remove from cupcake tins and transfer into an air-tight container. refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Coconut Flour Fried Donuts
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup Swerve Sweetener or other erythritol
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 large eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil melted
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp stevia
Oil for frying coconut, grapeseed, etc.
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut lightly toasted
1/4 cup powdered Swerve Sweetener or other powdered erythritol
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a donut pan
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder and salt.
- Add the eggs, coconut oil, almond milk, vanilla and stevia and whisk until the batter is well-incorporated and smooth.
- Fill the wells in donut pan about 2/3 full
- Bake this for 15 minutes, or until set and just barely brown around the edges.
- Remove the donuts from the oven and let them cool. Repeat this with remaining batter.
- In a large skillet, add oil until it fills half an inch and heat it over medium heat. While heating, combine toasted coconut and powdered sweetener in a medium bowl.
- Once the oil is hot, add 5 or 6 donuts to the pan. Flip after 1 to 2 minutes and cook the other side for another minute or so. Remove from the pan and quickly press each side on the coconut coating until it adheres.
- Let the donuts cool on a wire rack before serving.