Nowadays, more and more people are learning to focus on their health and appearance. Going to the gym and following diet plans have been a trend not only for the young adults but also for teens and elders.
Focusing on your health leads to a better lifestyle and a happier and longer life. This includes regular exercise and a healthy diet with the help of vitamins and other supplements.
One of the most popular topics when it comes to a healthy lifestyle is weight loss. This is because weight has been known to affect the body and excess weight tends to lead to different health risks like obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
However, extreme exercises in order to lose weight is not for all and not everyone has the strength and capacity to undergo these exercises. This is when our diet comes into play.
Coconut has been known to help with losing weight. It has been known to boost your metabolism and the coconut oil helps to keep you full so you don’t binge eat during the day and you tend to eat less during meals. Check out the following coconut recipes to help you attain the weight that you are aiming for to start your way to a healthy lifestyle.
Thai Coconut Chicken Soup Recipe
This recipe contains coconut milk and red curry paste. Both of these ingredients provide fat-burning properties that will surely help you lose weight.
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 stalks fresh lemongrass, cut in half and smashed
1 medium knob of ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
1–2 bird’s eye chili peppers, optional
40 ounces of coconut milk
4 ounces Thai red curry paste
2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or coconut oil
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped
2 red onions, chopped
2 large Japanese sweet potatoes, diced
1 head broccoli, chopped
1 13.5-ounce can bamboo shoots, drained
1 bunch scallions, chopped
juice of two limes
- In a large pot, combine the broth, lemongrass, ginger, and chili peppers (optional). Bring this to a boil over medium-high heat. Once it boils, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer
- In a medium pot, heat the coconut milk over medium-high heat until it reaches a low boil. Then whisk in the red curry paste until the liquid is smooth and fully incorporated. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter or heat the oil over medium heat. Once the butter is melted or the oil is shimmering, add the chicken thighs and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then, add the chopped onions, scallions and sweet potatoes and cook them again for another 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Strain the broth to remove the lemongrass, ginger and chili peppers. Afterwards, boil it under medium heat and add the coconut-curry mixture, chicken and vegetable saute, broccoli, and bamboo shoots. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the scallions and lime juice. Stir, cover and allow the soup to rest for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to incorporate.
Cantaloupe Coconut Smoothie Recipe
This is a refreshing way to enjoy a combination of flavors from fruits that are full of vitamins and minerals.
1 cup cubed fresh cantaloupe
½ cup light coconut milk
½ cup non-fat milk (any variety)
¼ cup unsweetened frozen pineapple
1 tbsp toasted unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
Place all ingredients except the shredded coconut in a blender and blend until smooth. Top with coconut before serving.
Coconut Yogurt Chia Seed Smoothie Bowl
This is a recipe that uses coconut yogurt instead of ordinary yogurt. This made the recipe dairy free, and packed with flavor and creamy texture. Not to mention the weight loss properties of coconut incorporated beautifully to this delicious bowl. Chia seeds, one of the well-known superfoods also add extra nutrients and the blueberries add some color and a heap of antioxidants.
3 bananas, sliced
4 dates, pitted and halved
2 cups coconut milk yogurt
¼ cup coconut water
1 small container of blueberries or any berry of your choice
¼ cup chia seeds
TOPPINGS: hemp seeds, sliced strawberries, blackberries, raspberries
- Place the bananas, dates, coconut milk yogurt, coconut water, berries and chia seeds in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place the smoothie in an airtight container and chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Place the smoothie into bowls and top with hemp seeds, sliced strawberries, blackberries and raspberries.